By Tom Lansford Ph.D.
This booklet analyzes the complicated motives and results of the September eleven, 2001, terrorist assaults either locally and across the world, and examines the next wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
• presents insightful rates from modern figures and first files starting from Osama bin Laden's 1998 fatwa opposed to the USA to the 2006 Iraq research staff Report
• comprises 12 biographies starting from Osama bin weighted down to George W. Bush that supply targeted historical past on very important figures from the era
• offers a chronology of occasions from the Nineteen Seventies to the current day, together with occurrences resulting in the September eleven, 2001, assaults and the Iraq War
• encompasses a choose bibliography of significant works at the September eleven, 2001, assaults; the struggle in Iraq; place of birth safeguard; and the battle on terror
• includes a distinctive thesaurus of keywords akin to "Shiite" and "weapons of mass destruction"
Read or Download 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. A Chronology and Reference Guide PDF
Best historical study & educational resources books
Milton Osborne is likely one of the world's pre-eminent writers on Southeast Asia, and this vigorous and straightforward to learn advisor is a distillation of a lifetime's wisdom and event at the quarter. crucial examining for visitors.
The twenty-seventh quantity of Geographers: Biobibliographical reviews comprises essays overlaying the geographical paintings and lasting importance of 8 participants among the overdue 16th century and the early 20th century. The essays conceal early smooth geography, cartography and astronomy, geography’s connections with past due Renaissance humanism and non secular politics, ‘armchair geography’ and textual enquiry in African geography, clinical mapping and Siberian commute, human ecology within the Vidalian culture, radical political geography in twentieth-century united states, American agricultural geography and cultural-historical geography in Japan and in India.
This reference is designed to supply short yet necessary information regarding all points of the struggle together with devices concerned, the United international locations, political and army activities, major websites and operations, and guns used. Written to be transparent and comprehensible, it's the excellent learn instrument. not like current dictionaries that target the contributors (political and army) concerned or be aware of army devices and activities, this Dictionary covers the wide variety of issues essential to tell either informal readers and students alike.
From the autumn of Rome to the eu Renaissance, and together with western and non-western cultures and civilizations, this encyclopedia provides finished assurance of the medieval global. Entries are subsidized up through basic resource files, besides quite a few photos and maps, a word list, chronology and suggestions on extra interpreting.
- The Korean War: An Exhaustive Chronology (3 Vol. Set)
- Twenty Years of the Journal of Historical Sociology: Volume 1: Essays on the British State
- The A to Z of the Hong Kong SAR and the Macao SAR
- Required Reading: Sociology's Most Influential Books
- Tapestry: The History and Consequences of America's Complex Culture
Extra info for 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. A Chronology and Reference Guide
Bush then moved to room in the school where he was briefed by staffers. He then participated in a teleconference with his national security advisors. , the decision was made that the FAA would ground all commercial ﬂights and not allow any more takeoffs in an effort to prevent additional attacks. Later, all ﬂights in the air were ordered to immediately land. Many foreign ﬂights bound for the United States were redirected to Canada. Concurrently, all military bases were placed on high alert. m. and asked the nation for a moment of silence in recognition of the loss of lives.
And foreign law enforcement and intelligence agencies foiled an al Qaeda attack in December 1999. Known as the Millennium Plot, Ahmed Ressam was tasked to undertake a bomb attack against the Los Angeles International Airport. Other terrorists planned strikes on tourist sites in Jordan that were expected to be ﬁlled with foreign Christian visitors for the Christmas holidays. S. ofﬁcials. Ressam was arrested by immigration ofﬁcials as he endeavored to cross into the United States from Canada in a car ﬁlled with explosives and bomb-making materials.
On April 16, 2001, Mullah Mohammad Rabbani, the prime minister of Afghanistan and the number two ﬁgure in the Taliban died of liver cancer. Rabbani, who helped establish the Taliban, was the leader of the moderate faction of the organization. He was replaced by an anti-Western hardliner, Mullah Mohammed Omar. Bin Laden perceived the change in leadership as a signal that the Taliban would be more supportive of attacks on the West. In addition, on September 9, Ahmad Shah Massoud, the leader of the Northern Alliance, was assassinated by al Qaeda.